Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Christmas presents, part 2

And now the second installment of the christmas knitting! Yay!

For my widdle brother, I made mittens. But not just any kind of mittens! Fancy convertible flip-top mittens! I knit the Lola Flip-Top mittens from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders.



Of course, I made a couple of changes. Though the pattern called for a fingering-weight yarn, I used a DK weight yarn instead and I got gauge on the recommended needle size. Actually, I used Patons Astra, which was kind of squeaky, but otherwise a very nice yarn. I also fooled around with the sizing a bit, so it's somewhere between the largest size and the next down, so they fit my bro pretty perfectly. Finally, I used velcro patches instead of buttons to fasten the flaps because I figured my bro wouldn't think buttons were manly enough.

For my buddy Stevie, I made the Bokaclava by Anne-Marie Dunbar (blog here). I used some Cascade 220 Superwash and a little bit of leftover Red Heart Soft, which is probably one of the nicest acrylics I've ever used. Here, my brother kindly models it:



Dad had a pretty good time trying it on as well:



This was a really interesting pattern, but I wasn't thrilled about all the seaming. The ears were knit separately and then sewn on afterwards, and I would have preferred if the thing was knit in one piece. I do have to say that it was totally worth it for the final result though, which turned out really well. Here, Henry graciously offered to model it from many angles:









And now, since I'm falling asleep, I will bid you all a good night!

2 comments: