Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

My CASCA shawl

I'm completely unable to sit through scientific talks without falling asleep unless I'm doing something with my hands. Since I wasn't sure about bringing my knitting needles on the plane to Halifax, I decided to start a new crochet project during CASCA. I wanted to choose something that wouldn't require too much attention to gauge and that I wouldn't need to try on as I went, and so I picked the Sweet Pea shawl by Amie Hirtes from the Happy Hooker.



The yarn I chose was Vanna's Glamour from Lion Brand Yarns. This is my first time using a LB yarn, despite devoutly listening to every episode of Yarncraft, and I wasn't disappointed. I found it to be a little inconsistent in width, and it stained my new bamboo crochet hook blue, but I did like the sparkliness. Sparkliness is good.



Overall, I'm pretty happy with this pattern. It wasn't so easy that it was boring, but I was able to memorize the stitch pattern fairly easily. By the time I started getting sick of the pattern, I was almost done. The results were certainly good, and I didn't even have to block it. I was worried about using such a thin yarn with a 6mm hook, but it ended up ok in the end. Hurray!