Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Count your blessings...

It's late, and I'm tired, so this won't be a very long post, but I wanted to write this down before sleep dulls my memory. Tonight, as I was waiting for the bus to arrive and take me home, I noticed a woman sobbing loudly in the station. I sat at a nearby bench and watched to see if anyone else in the station would go talk to her. No one looked like they were going to make a move (though one lady walked by and seemed as though she would say something, but then lost her nerve and moved on), so I bundled up my courage, and asked the lady if she was ok. I have to note that my heart was pounding like crazy. I'm a kind of shy person, and I don't usually talk to strangers if I can help it.

Anyway, I sat next to her, asked her if she wanted to talk about it, and after a little coaxing she started telling me, between sobs, about what seemed to be a really bad day. It was hard to understand what she was saying, but something about her boyfriend being an ass, and her not wanting to burden her parents, and it being her birthday... Her best friend had taken her clubbing to make her feel better, it seems, and so she was quite drunk as well. I gave her a hug, and held her hand for a bit, and when the bus arrived, I sat near her and made sure she didn't pass out. Her stop was a couple before mine, and she stumbled off the bus and walked off into the night...

On the surface, I feel incredibly bad for her, even somewhat responsible for her fate, since I bothered to get to know her. I kind of feel that I should have gotten off at the same stop as her and made sure she got home ok. It wouldn't have been too far to walk to my place from there. And I really hope that she made it. However, deeper down, I feel incredibly grateful that I'm not in her shoes. I have a wonderful boyfriend and a fantastic family, I have my health, and I'm studying something I really love. I really can't ask for more.

Ok. Bed time.

2 comments: